Fried Green Tomatillos

Living life fully each day, with pictures, recipes, music and love.

Rock ON Indie Evolution

I will gladly admit that though I'm not 'scene' I rotate through the hippie/emo/indie/prep worlds depending on my mood and the day. I can be clichely indie as I will grow to hate a band/song everyone loves and get irritated when I connect with an author that is on the NY Best Seller's list the following week. Can't seem to help it. Since the 'scenes' are pretty much the same kids wearing different clothes, I find it easy to overlap them and take whatever I need from their sphere. There is also nothing wrong with these musicians/writers/directors finding fame and fortune. They likely deserve it because they f-ing rock. I'd even argue that the popularity I resent is the reason I know about them in the first place. We like to think we are non-conformists, but I feel like EVERYONE is trying to keep from conforming and thus they all end up the same anyways. I'm pretty sure there are A LOT of ears pressed up against the underground. And really, if the whole world starts reading, eating, watching and listening to better shit, then we should be celebrating the evolution of taste. Love this [so true and it reminds me of my roommate Cory]:
Music in general should be celebrated, and while slightly hypocritical, I am no hater. I try to embrace the things other people love, if they're awesome anyway. In that vein, I do really like the fastly growing We Are Scientists and will admit I hate how popular they are. Awhile back they caught my initial attention for their name alone, but seriously I think they're pretty talented [dammit]. Today, I just found they did a cover of a song I love by Sigur Ros [a decidedly super Icelandic band that people love to tout while attempting to keep secret though I think they get plastered across the U.K. scene and even won an MTV award]. So, check out the video from Sigur Ros with the music covered by We Are Scientists [still sung in Icelandic circa 2006]. And check out both bands too if they [somehow] haven't crossed your radar, because they've gotten where they are for a reason.

0 comments:

Post a Comment